With warmer weather upon us in Canada we instantly flock to cottages and patios to celebrate the end of another arctic tundra. Next week marks not only Canada Day but also Independence Day - so for this #SummerSeries we’re going to serve you two delicious naturally inspired cocktails and a fresh simple salad you can throw together and bask in the sunshine, no matter what you’re celebrating. Stay tuned because we’ll be offering two exclusive offers next week to celebrate! We’ll be heading up to the farm to hang out with the cows and eat till our hearts content! Follow us on instagram to see what we’re up to and tag #SummerSeries so we can see how you’re celebrating this summer!
Fresh Spread Salad:
Come summer, I love to cook but don't want to waste too much time inside the kitchen. Simple, fresh recipes like this are ideal - a lot of the ingredients can be harvested from your summer garden too. I especially love this salad because you can add anything you feel like - pistachios, pine nuts, arugula - anything your heart desires! Sometimes ill also throw a baguette in the oven with olive oil to serve with this.
- Two peaches
- One large tomato (beefsteak or heirloom)
- Prosciutto (as much or as little as you feel is right)
- One ball of burrata
- Basic balsamic dressing (~1/4 olive oil + 4 tbs balsamic vinegar + 1 tbs honey mixed together)
- 10 leaves of basil
Slice and arrange peaches on a nice big platter, slice and layer with tomato. Take slices of prosciutto and layer those right on top. Place burrata in the middle of the dish. Drizzle with your balsamic creation and garnish with torn basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slice the burrata and dig in! It’s. That. Simple. But it looks gorgeous and so impressive. Enjoy!
Au Naturel Cocktails:
These can easily be made virgin as well
One of my favourite summer drinks is comprised of watermelon, cucumber and mint - it really does feel like you’re drinking something healthy, and you somewhat are! Guilt free beverages are a personal favourite. This one from HummusSapien is delicious and so simple:
- Two cups seedless watermelon cubed
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and sliced
- 10-12 fresh mint
- 2 tbs date syrup (can be replaced with simple syrup or agave if you dont feel like making syrup, or omit to really feel healthy)
- 2 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Place pitted dates in a bowl - cover with very hot water and set aside for 30 mins.
- Drain dates and place in a blender with 1 1/2 cups fresh water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place cubed watermelon, sliced cucumber, mint, and 2 tbs syrup in blender. Blend then pour through a fine mesh sieve.
- Add lime juice and vodka - stir it up.
- Fill glass with ice and top with cocktail. Garnish with fresh mint to be real cute.
Next up, something lemony limey fresh from Cookie and Kate (I loooove her recipes):
This goes perfectly with tacos
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (~3 large lemons, juiced)
- 1/4 fresh lime juice (~1-2 limes, juiced)
- 1/4 agave, cane sugar or honey
- Vodka, gin or bourbon
- Club sofa
- Juice lemons and limes into a measuring cup. Add sweetener and pour into a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of fresh mint and blend thoroughly, until mint is torn into tiny bits.
- Fill glasses with ice. Pour two ounces of the mixture + 2 ounces poison of choice + 2 ounces club soda. Serve with biodegradable or reusable straw